The Club will be called Ballydrain harrier & Athletic club, referred to as the Club.
The Club colours shall be sky blue top with 3 royal blue hoops and white shorts.
3. Aims and objectives
The aims and objectives of the club will be:
- (a) to develop track and field athletics, cross-country and road running by
- encouraging participation in these activities;
- providing members with suitable competition;
- assisting members to improve their personal athletic standards;
- organising athletic competition locally.
- (b) to offer coaching, leading to competitive opportunities for the local community in athletics.
- (c) to promote the club within the local community and the wider NI athletics community.
- (d) to ensure a duty of care to all members of the club
The Club shall be affiliated to Athletics NI which is recognised by the International Association of Athletic Federations.
- Membership of the Club shall be open to all persons who have been accepted by the Management Committee on the basis of simple majority vote, who have paid the appropriate annual subscription and who have agreed to abide by the Rules and Constitution of the Club.
- The Management Committee shall have the power to accept or to refuse an application for membership at any time, such power being exercised by simple majority vote.
- The Management Committee shall have the power to remove from membership any person who commits an offence which is considered serious enough to warrant such removal. Such action or other disciplinary action against members shall only be taken at a duly convened meeting of the Management Committee before which the alleged offender shall be entitled to appear.
- Any member wishing to resign must notify the Administrative Secretary in writing to that effect and must be clear of all liabilities before resignation can be accepted.
- Members will be enrolled in one of the following categories:
- Adult member
- Juvenile member
- Associate member
- Family member
- Honorary Life member
6. Membership fees
- Membership fees will be set annually and agreed by the Management Committee or determined at the Annual General Meeting (AGM).
- Fees will be paid annually 1 April to 31 March.
- The Club will pay individual AthleticsNI registration for all members from the yearly subscription set.
- Current fees are attached at Annex B.
7. Officers of the club
The officers of the club will be:
(please see Annex A for list of names of current office bearers)
- Honorary President
- Vice Chair
- Honorary Secretary
- Competitions Secretary
- Publicity Officer
- Club Welfare/Designated Officer
- Junior Coordinator
- Mens Captain:
- Ladies Captain:
- Committee members
- The Honorary President shall be non-voting.
- The Competition Secretary shall co-ordinate entries for Club and external competition and shall have responsibility for all other organisational matters connected thereto.
- The Treasurer shall present annual accounts and shall furnish statements of accounts as required by the Management Committee and shall co-ordinate fund raising activities.
- The affairs of the Club shall be managed by a Management Committee.
- Consisting of eight members elected at the Annual General Meeting. From this Management Committee shall be elected the Chair, Secretary and Treasurer.
- The Management Committee shall have overall control of all Club activities, finance and of all matters pertaining to the general conduct and welfare of the Club. It shall have the power to appoint sub-committees when necessary and to delegate to any such sub-committee any powers except the election or rejection of members.
- Meetings of the Management Committee shall be held at least once each month and five members shall form a quorum. The decisions of the Management Committee shall be taken by simple majority vote and the Chair, or the person voted to the Chair in his/her absence, shall have a second or casting vote. Decisions taken at any meeting may be amended or revoked at any subsequent properly convened meeting by a majority of those present and entitled to vote.
- Any member of the Management Committee who fails to attend six consecutive monthly meetings shall be suspended from membership until an explanation for such absence has been given. In the event of a vacancy arising among the elected members, the other members may co-opt a successor.
- Appoint delegates to the governing bodies and to any bodies which may from time to time require representation.
- Determine any dispute arising from a judge’s decision in a Club race or from an objection to the winner of any Club Trophy.
9. ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
- The Annual General Meeting of the Club shall be held not later than the last day of November each year to hear reports of the Club activities from the Chariman, Secretary and Treasurer and any other reports which the Committee considers appropriate.
- Notice of AGMs will be given by the Honorary Secretary not less than 21 clear days prior to the date of the meeting.
- The Annual General meeting shall also:-
(i) consider, and if approved, sanction any duly made alteration in the Constitution;
(ii) elect the Management Committee and its officers for the coming year (see Section 7 (a);
(iii) elect the Honorary Auditor for the coming year; and
- consider such business as the Management Committee desires to bring before the members and such matters as are raised by members at the meeting.
- Nominations for officers of the Management Committee will be sent to the Secretary 5 days prior to the AGM.
10. Extraordinary General Meetings
A Special General Meeting may be convened by the General Committee as often as it considers necessary or by the Secretary at any time on the receipt of a requisition in writing signed by not less than ten members. The notice convening such a meeting shall issue to Club members at least seven days before the date fixed for the meeting and it shall state the business to be considered at the meeting; such a Special General Meeting shall exercise the powers of an Annual General Meeting upon such stated business.
11. PROCEDURE AT GENERAL MEETINGS
- At all General meetings of the Club, the Chair, and in his absence a member selected by the meeting, shall take the Chair.
- Every member present and entitled to vote shall have one vote upon every motion, and in the case of equality of votes the Chair shall have a second vote.
- The quorum at all General Meetings of the Club shall be five members.
- At least four Trustees shall be nominated by the general Committee from the membership of the Club and shall be confirmed in office by members of the Club in General Meeting to hold office until death or resignation or removal from office by a resolution of the management Committee and in such circumstances the Management Committee shall appointment a successor whose appointment shall be ratified by the members of the Club in General Meeting.
- All lands, buildings, hereditaments and premises acquired by the Club shall be vested in the Trustees for the time being for the benefit of the Club and its members to be dealt with as the Management Committee shall from time to time direct, and the Trustees shall have power to purchase, take on lease or otherwise acquire and hold real and leasehold property and to sell, mortgage, charge or otherwise dispose of the same. The current Trustees are:-
Mr Jim Hayes
Mr Sam McMinn
Mr Fred Strickland
Mr Trevor White
The Club’s assets and finances shall be used solely to further the objects of the Club. At no time or under no circumstances shall assets of the Club be distributed among members either on an interim or on a winding-up basis.
- A resolution to dissolve the Club shall be passed only at a General Meeting specially summoned for the purpose of such a resolution if supported by not less than 75% of those present and entitled to vote.
- In the event of the Club being dissolved, surplus assets remaining after the satisfaction of debts and liabilities shall be held in trust by the Trustees until transferred by them to a sports club in Northern Ireland with objects similar to those of Ballydrain Harrier & A.C, provided that such sports club’s Rules similarly preclude the distribution of such assets to its members.
15. amendment of constitution
This Constitution may be added to, repealed or amended by resolution at any Annual or Special General Meeting, provided that no such resolution shall be deemed to have been passed unless it is carried by a majority of at least 51% of the members voting thereon.
16. club trophies
Winners of Club trophies may hold same for one year unless resigning and must undertake to return them to the Competition Secretary when requested.
17. Safeguarding children
This sports club/organisation is fully committed to safeguarding the well being of its members. Every individual in the club/organisation should, at all times, show respect and understanding for their rights, safety and welfare, and conduct themselves in a way that reflects the principles of the organisation and the guidelines provided by our governing body and contained in the Code of Ethics and Good Practice for Children’s Sport.
18. eQUITY POLICY STATEMENT
- This club is committed to ensuring that equity is incorporated across all aspects of its development. In doing so it acknowledges and adopts the following Sport Northern Ireland definition of sports equity:
“Sports equity is about fairness in sport, equality of access, recognising inequalities and taking steps to address them. It is about changing the culture and structure of sport to ensure it becomes equally accessible to everyone in society.”
- The club respects the rights, dignity and worth of every person and will treat everyone equally within the context of their sport, regardless of age, ability, gender, race, ethnicity, religious belief, sexuality or social/economic status.
- The club is committed to everyone having the right to enjoy their sport in an environment free from threat of intimidation, harassment and abuse.
- All club members have a responsibility to oppose discriminatory behaviour and promote equality of opportunity.
- The club will deal with any incidence of discriminatory behaviour seriously, according to club disciplinary procedures.
19. Discipline and appeals
- All complaints regarding the behaviour of members should be presented and submitted in writing to the Secretary.
- All concerns, allegations or reports of poor practice/abuse relating to the welfare of children and young people will be recorded and responded to swiftly and appropriately in accordance with the club’s safeguarding children and young people policy and procedures. The club welfare/designated officer is the lead contact for all members in the event of any safeguarding concerns.
- The Management Committee will meet to hear complaints within 7 days of a complaint being lodged. The committee has the power to take appropriate disciplinary action including the termination of membership.
- The outcome of a disciplinary hearing should be notified in writing to the person who lodged the complaint and the member against whom the complaint was made within 7 days of the hearing.
- There will be the right of appeal to the Management Committee following disciplinary action being announced. The committee should consider the appeal within 7 days of the Secretary receiving the appeal.
We hereby certify that this document represents a true and most up-to-date version of the Constitution of Ballydrain Harrier & Athletic Club.
Mr Sam McMinn Honorary President
Mr Philip Gilmore Honorary Secretary
Date: 1 February 2017
List of the Club Officers
- Honorary President Mr Sam McMinn
- Chair: Mr Philip Gilmore
- Vice Chair: TBC
- Honorary Secretary: Mrs Valerie Martin
- Honorary Treasurer: Mr Mark Earney
- Publicity Officer: TBC
- Junior Coordinator: TBC
- Social Secretary: TBC
- Committee members:
- Mens Captain: Mr Drew Fowler
- Ladies Captain: Mrs Claire Ingram
- Club Welfare/Designated Officer: TBC
Subscriptions for 2016/2017
Category of Membership Yearly Membership Fee
Adult Member (over 18): £40
Juvenile Member (under 18): £15
Family Membership: £80
(3 or 4 family members to include Spouse/Partner & children)
Associate Member: £10